Guilty of neglecting your skin during that insanely sweaty heat wave the past few weeks? You’re not alone. As far as I’m concerned, the heat had rendered any extra steps in my regular skincare routine unbearable. That extra layer of moisturizer? Icky! More masks to cover my sweaty face? Forget about it! Beach time is beyond my reach, just pass me that big bowl of ice-cream. But hey, have you heard? Vancouver will finally reunite with her (rainy) friend for the next few days, which means we will finally be able to throw in some quick skincare tricks to liven up that long-neglected, poorly exfoliated skin. Here are a few simple steps I’m incorporating into my routine:
1. Ditch your regular exfoliator and try The Body Shop’s Vitamin C Microdermabrasion for super fine exfoliating beads that can smooth out even the most awkward crease on your face while bringing a hint of antioxidants to repair the day’s damaged tissues.
2. You’ve been sweating all day, and you have diligently washed your face. Don’t forget to clean your hairline, too! Sweat is easily gathered and trapped along your hairline and on the creases of your neck. Soak a cotton pad with Bioderma’s Sébium H2O Micelle Solution and run it through your hairline, behind your ears, under your jawbone and over your neck to thoroughly get rid of all the dirt!
3. We all know the wonders that a Clarisonic cleansing system can do. On top of cleansing your face, run it along the hairline, jawbone, neck (sometimes I even run it gently on my upper chest to scrub away all the dirt that came my way), while making sure all the pores are properly cleaned. Do not use it in conjunction with physical exfoliators.
1. At-home chemical peel offered by the nifty Dr Dennis Gross’s Alpha Beta Peel – Extra Strength Formula contains concentration of the laboratory’s Alpha Beta® Acids to improve skin tone while treating breakouts. The pre-soaked towelettes are amazingly effective and deliver immediate results.
2. While we battle with oily and greasy skin during the summer, I tend to forget that moisturizing is just as crucial as putting on mattifying products. This step helps keep your skin from creating excessive sebum to compensate for the lack of hydration. Laneige’s Water Bank Gel Cream provides lightweight hydration in a cooling, gel formula without being greasy at all.
3. Origin’s Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask contains active charcoal to draw out impurities and dirt from deep down your pores for a clean, blackhead-free complexion. It is a drying product, so for dry or combination skin, use only once every so often!
4. To repair all the tissue damages caused by UV during the day, an antioxidant product is crucial! Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum Vitamin C Collagen Booster helps restore the damages while boosting a brighter complexion. It is lightweight yet slightly hydrating, so it is perfect for those with oily skin who prefer to skip moisturizers during Summer.
1. Shaveworks’ The Cool Fix is ingrown hair’s worst enemy. It contains glycolic acid and salicylic acid that exfoliate and clean all those bumps on your legs from shaving or waxing. The gel formula is also perfect on a hot day. Apply lightly over affected areas after hair removal.
2. & 3. Indulge in a long shower with The Body Shop’s Coconut Body Scrub or Spa Fit Smoothing Refining Body Scrub with relaxing scents while scrubbing away those layer of dead skin cells. Pay extra attention to the folds on your elbows, knees, and underarms!
4. Dry heels are a given during sandal season. Bath and Body Works’ Heel of Approval is a little gem hidden in the affordable pampering store. Besides smelling like sweet green apples, this foot cream contains glycolic acid to slough away rough skin while you catch your beauty sleep, hydrating and softening your heels overnight.
5. This is a body brush I discovered at Daiso in the bathroom aisle. With stiff bristles and detachable brush head, I use it to scrub my hard-to-reach back and areas on my skin where I get stubborn bumps or ingrown hair. Since the bristles are stiff and rough, it works as a perfect scrubber for my feet as well!